Saturday 11 March 2023

'Bear' BTS #2

Second in my ‘behind the scenes’ series of my short film, ‘Bear’ is this clip:


Click here to view the previous one.

This is more of a process video- something I've rarely shared before of my work, mainly due to seldom filming timelapses when I animate. I usually find it quite off putting to know that every little move is being recorded! Though when making this short, I purposefully decided to capture as much bts footage as possible (besides the live action shoot, down to budget or lack thereof) of all the different post production processes involved. This is because I knew I wanted to have some documentation of creating the project, as it's my most ambitious to date.

This clip is split into three parts: first is a timelapse of how I created one of the backgrounds in TVPaint from a reference photo I took; second is a timelapse extract of rotoscoping the outlines- these were all done on my iPad using Callipeg. To make it as smooth as possible and to make sure I don't forget any lines or miss them out, I take one line and draw it until the end of the shot. I then choose another line and repeat the process until all lines are complete! It's kind of more monotonous this way, but therapeutic all the same! You can also see in this clip that the filming location is the same as the previous bts clip- the beauty of rotoscoping, especially on a tight budget. You do not need to shoot in a fancy/ expensive studio or against a green screen either- I guess it helps a little as it makes the character easier to see as the background is so contrasting, but it’s not necessary. This is proof! And lastly, is the finished shot.

Credits for this clip: Peter Stone is Bear and Alan Livesey on camera for the live action shoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment