Saturday 25 March 2023

Another Cross Stitch!


I must have started this one a year or two ago, as I found it in my box of (mostly) finished projects when I was looking through it several weeks back. I had only stitched the 'F' (my initial, obv!) and a few of the yellow squares on the left, so there was plenty to go at.

I hadn't yet decided after the last one what I was going to make next, so decided to finish this before embarking on anything fresh. I don't like having half completed projects, plus think it's better discipline to finish what you start unless of course, you have a really valid reason to not. In this case I didn't, so decided to go ahead with it.

As I started it a while ago, I couldn't remember which DMC yellow I used to create the squares on the left (and nothing in my thread box seemed to match up), so decided to use this to my advantage and be a little less 'safe' with the design and use multi colours instead. So I kind of did a fade from yellow to pink, to orange and then to purple, creating an anti-clockwise gradient around the letter. I like that I tried something different here, but feel I would have preferred to keep the yellow all the way around, as it's a colour which really stands out (and is my favourite). I felt the orange and the purple (especially) are a little too dark/ gloomy, and this was exaggerated by the fact that there is some bright yellow on the same piece. But like I always harp on about on here- if you don't push what you're comfortable with, then you won't progress and just stay the same. I'm pleased I tried it, but in this case, I'm not sure if it worked all that well. I'm a sucker for bright colours and sadly, this didn't quite do it for me.

I am pleased to have completed it though- it was a LOT of stitches! And despite my personal opinion on some of the colour choices, I do think it looks quite cool (probably the wrong word as is cross stitch ever regarded as cool?!) overall and I am quite proud of it. I definitely want to do more using letters, as I feel this is quite effective. Perhaps I'll inadvertently end up doing a full alphabet as have the tendency to get carried away/ enthused! I actually did a cross stitch 'R' three years ago. So I guess now I have two letters down already, only 24 to go then!

No comments:

Post a Comment