Monday 31 July 2023

Embroidery- Again!

As you can probably tell, I'm on a little bit of an embroidery roll at the moment. I just can't help myself! I seem to be getting a lot out of it and currently really enjoying exercising this side of my creativity. I’m finding it a very relaxing hobby, plus something which is low pressure (i.e. not my ‘primary’ medium, therefore I have a different approach to it). And I love the results it gives: it’s a great way of image making in a less traditional/ typical medium, unlike say painting or drawing (both of which are also fantastic media to work in- no hate)!

Though I must admit, a part of me feels a little guilty for not putting all this time spent sewing into rotoscoping/ animation, but at the same time, I feel like if I'm feeling really inspired in one aspect of my creativity, then I should run with that. I've done (and do) a LOT of rotoscoping, so don’t especially feel making something because I feel I ‘should’ will actually add anything to my portfolio. Also, in this blog, I have alluded to only doing test clips for when I have an idea of something I want to actually test, rather than just for the sake of it. Which at the moment feels like if I did decide to make a rotoscope clip, it would be coming from a place of guilt, rather than what feels true to me at this time.

I would also much prefer to be working on a larger rotoscope project such as a short film, as opposed to small pieces. So I am currently working on developing a few ideas (some small, some bigger- hello feature film) of a project to work on next. I’m not saying I can’t learn anything anymore by doing test clips or smaller pieces, because I full know I can and the minute I become complacent about something will be the worst thing for my development as both an artist and a person. But, I am saying that embarking on a bigger project would mean a lot more to me, plus I will learn a lot more from it, too. Test clips are good and fun, but if I call myself a filmmaker/ director, then there is not a really a substitute for making full films whether they be shorts or features.

Working full time does make starting a long project harder (and slower), but there are bits I can do towards my project in the mornings before work. I am one of those awful 6am risers, so it’s not like I don’t have the time for it.

Anyway, how did we get here? This was meant to be a casual post about a recent piece of embroidery I finished! Though I guess you’d think AI wrote this piece if I didn’t turn it into a big existential analysis of my practise/ life, right?!

Anyway, below are a few photos of the embroidery. I must admit I am really proud of how it turned out. I tried a few new techniques in this one, such as the blending of colours on the mountains. It’s really building my confidence and I think I might be ready to try something a little more complex (maybe)! As always, watch this space for that… The pattern was from DMC- though the original pattern was just meant to be blackwork/ outline only (and square), but I decided to do a full colour version (and make it circular).

Ps. It’s my birthday today! So obviously writing this blog would be the most appropriate way to celebrate!


No comments:

Post a Comment