Sunday 29 January 2023

Moth Film Update #2

Some of the moths

It’s been a few weeks since I did an update on this project, so I think it’s high time for a new one!

At time of writing, I’m currently at 626 moths (out of the 1080 needed), so I feel I’m in a great place with it. Ideally I’d have liked to have hit 700 by this time, but it was a quite full on week with work, resulting in wanting to spend less time drawing moths when the working day was up and do something less screen based and more relaxing such as cross stitch instead! I also had quite bad insomnia this week, alongside a few other distracting things occupying my mind, both resulting in my lack of moth drawing.

But, getting past the 600 mark could potentially mean only 4 weeks left to go on this project, providing I hit 100 each week from now on. Though it’s an arbitrary deadline, so if I am feeling stressed or have other things come up, then I’m just going to let this fake deadline slide as overall it’s no big deal and at the end of the day, moths can wait. Despite this, I am eager to get the bulk of it finished, because I really miss rotoscoping and have some ideas of a few things I want to try out, but not letting myself until I’ve finished this project. I don’t like having too many things on at once, because it causes me too much stress and doesn’t allow me to focus on either thing fully, plus it also poses risk of not finishing the first thing I started. Because I’m so far in already on this project, I doubt I’d let myself not finish it, but it’s not a risk I want to take. It’s so easy to leave a project unfinished once moving on to something else, though I have got a lot better at not doing that in these past few years as it’s something I’ve actively worked on.

In my previous update about this project, I touched on ideas generation/ inspiration for drawing the moths. Even now by having drawn double the amount, I’d say thinking of new ideas for each moth has actually got easier instead of harder. I feel this is because action leads to inspiration and the more I’ve done, the more I’ve got into it. I’ve found that each idea feeds into the next quite easily, so I can’t say I’ve struggled all that much with coming up with the ideas, which is nice! That’s not to say it’s been complete breeze, because it hasn’t, but it’s been a lot easier than what I might have imagined.

In the back on my mind, I’ve been mulling over a few ideas in how to finish the piece (both visually and aurally) as I don’t want just a white background and zero audio (I don’t think). Though I have nothing solid or on paper yet as I don’t want to focus on that until all the moths have been drawn. So with that being said, I don’t think I’ve especially anything else to add to this post regarding this project…

…But:

Some other news I feel worthy to share on here is remember the animated TV show I said I’m now working on as an assistant editor on? Well that was announced publicly during the week. Drum roll please: it’s series 3 of The Rubbish World of Dave Spud, which will air on CITV in the autumn. You can read more about it in this Skwigly article. It’s a super fun show and a great team to be working with- I’m thoroughly enjoying the role.

And lastly (this is sounding like the notices/ AOB bit at the end of meetings now!) but, I’m back on the skateboard at long last after my broken shoulder injury! Woop woop! It’s still quite early on in the recovery process, so I’m taking it quite gently, but it’s wonderful to be back. I get so much out of the sport- perhaps I’ll do a full post on skateboarding at some stage (and the benefits it brings). We’ll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment