Sunday 22 January 2023

Latest Cross Stitch

If you’re a regular to this blog, you’ll know that one of my other hobbies/ creative outlets is sewing/ embroidery. Though of late, you might not know it- according to the ‘sewing’ tab on here, the last piece I completed was in October 2021. Which makes sense, as that’s when I started to really focus on making ‘Bear’ and didn’t give much time to anything else. I did start a few pieces of embroidery since, but never got round to finishing them- one because I didn’t like how it was turning out (though I look back at it now and it actually looks good- I’m so self critical) and the other because it was taking a long time and then making ‘Bear’ took over. I still intend on finishing that one though- it’s still in the embroidery hoop. So I’m obviously remaining optimistic!

A couple of weekends ago, on a random spontaneous trip to Bolton (wild, I know) I found myself wandering round the Hobbycraft there. I didn’t have anything in mind that I specifically needed or wanted, so I was seeing if anything would catch my eye- I’m actually terrible at shopping unless it’s for something I need, as not to waste money or buy things needlessly because of other factors such as environmental or general consumerism! Admittedly sometimes I am too strict on myself and that’s something i’m in the process of working on, but that’s probably a whole other post… But when I came across a basket full of Christmas cross stitch kits which were going for only 50p(!), I honestly could not resist! I wasn’t bothered about whether it was Christmas themed or not, I just wanted something to work on which would ease me back in to sewing again, as it’s something I keep intending to get back to. Anyway, I decided upon a cute little fox design- I usually try to pick out the things I find cutest- bonus points if they have a bear on it!


I went a little ‘off-piste’ from the pattern, because I always like to put my own spin on things (not to be pretentious or anything- I like making things they way I’d like them, because after all, it is for me). I omitted and changed a few bits of the design, plus decided to sew it on to a piece of felt. I think it gives it a really nice finish and makes it more of a whole piece. I love how it came out- I think it looks really cute (which I was a bit worried about at one stage) and I’m pleased with the neatness of my stitches. I’m looking forward to doing more.

Getting back into sewing in this gentle, low key, no pressure manner felt great. Being as I spend most of my weekdays staring at two monitors due to my job as an assistant editor, it was super nice to do something which wasn’t screen based either. A lot of the work I do these days seems to be digital (which is fine), but when I get back to using IRL materials and media, I always prefer it. I find it makes you think differently and more clearly and I always get more inspiration and better concentration when I base myself away from my screens. I’ve lost a desk space thanks to an extra monitor, which meant for several months now (maybe almost a year), I’ve not had a proper space in my room to be able to do non screen based work, which is quite frustrating. I’m in the process of moving house actually, so I’m going to ensure I make a space which is for non-screen based stuff in the new place. I’ve always enjoyed mixing analogue materials with digital, especially in my moving image work, but it’s something I’ve strayed away from recently. But I’m going to make a habit of getting back to it this year.

Anyway, how did I get from writing about sewing to animation? I guess pretty much everything in my life leads back to animation! Being as I’m straying from the topic, it probably means I’ve written all I need to for this post, so see you in the next one xo

No comments:

Post a Comment