Saturday 7 January 2023

Moth Film Update #1

Remember that new film idea I wrote about a few weeks ago? Yes? Well, here’s the first project update for that!

I’ve drawn around 300 moths at this point- progress which I am quite happy with, as it’s just under a third of the film already. Though, I must admit some days I find it hard to keep coming up with fresh ideas and inspiration, so they don’t all turn out the same. And I feel the more I do, this is only going to get harder as there’ll be even less new things to draw. But I’ve also felt that when I start that days work, I might start off fairly uninspired and the more I do, the more my inspiration feeds off the previous ones. I think it sometimes just depends on the day and how I’m feeling!

I’ve been aiming for at least 10 moth drawings each day- which takes about one hour. I was doing them quicker at the start of the project and could fit way more into one hour, but my designs were a LOT simpler then, whereas now they can end up quite complex:

One of the earlier ones

A later one

I feel this happened the more I got into the project as my mind kept thinking of new patterns to explore, which made the moths more interesting. The ideas for the simpler designs seemed to wear off quite quickly, hence more complexity in my later images. I appreciate that the designs aren’t all true to life and most likely wouldn’t be spotted on a moth in the wild any time soon(!), but the point of this project was never to replicate actual real moths. It’s more an abstract depiction of them. I like the fact that they started off fairly simple, because I think I’ll try and replicate that throughout the film- start off quite gentle and minimal and then descend into something more detailed and wacky (do people still use that word?!) as the film progresses.

As for using Procreate, I’m still thoroughly enjoying the process. I was able to take my iPad with me for when I visited my family over Christmas and was able to do some then, plus have been animating elsewhere than just my office room, so it’s been a really nice and comfortable way of working so far.

I think that’s about it for this update- though just a couple of other things: my shoulder break is healing well (phew), so looking forward to when I have full movement back and can get back on my skateboard. It’s only been 3 weeks since the injury, but it feels like forever!

And lastly, if you follow me on Twitter, you may have noticed that I haven’t engaged on there for maybe nearly two months now? Or something like that. When the recent men’s football World Cup was taking place I decided against going on Twitter (due to the amount of football related accounts I follow) as I was boycotting the cup this year (though no judgement if you decided to get involved). But ever since, I’ve not felt the desire to log back in. I feel my life has felt calmer (and nicer) without it and haven’t actually felt the need to go back to it. I’m currently leaving my account active, while I decide if it’s something I’ll ever come back to. Maybe I will, maybe I won’t, but I’m in no rush at the moment. I have enjoyed Twitter over the years and have met some great people through the platform, plus if I didn’t have it, I doubt I would have ended up working on the Richard Linklater film. But I’m on a break, at least. Still on Instagram though (and this blog, but I guess you already knew that)!!

I’ll probably put another moth update blog in a month or so- I’m not going to do one every week as it won’t change that much, so won’t make for the most interesting of reads!

No comments:

Post a Comment