Thursday 12 September 2024

Short Film: Update #3

It’s only been a few days since the last one of these updates went out, but plans over the weekend means I need to get this out earlier. So, how have I got on since then? Very, very well.


I finished off a fairly big shot (016), as well as started and finished another couple of bigger ones, along with a few smaller bits. I have actually now completed the outlines for everything I have already shot, so I’m pleased to have got all that boxed off at this point. Which gives me next week to get back on track with filming the bulk of it- or at least everything that won’t involve any extras (that can come later). Then I settle down for the winter to animate. I must admit, that sounds pretty blissful!

I also managed to get around to deciding the outfit for the character and doing several test drawings of what she might wear. I need to remember she is on holiday for the majority of the film and ignore current weather conditions! Summer isn’t coming back, is it..? But I also wanted something which I wouldn’t find too much of a pain to animate, as well as something I’d feel comfortable filming in. I did decide on an outfit (or so I thought), but then decided against it after having filmed a scene or two wearing it- I touched on this in greater detail in my previous update. It felt too childish and I just didn’t think it was the sort of outfit my character would wear- it gave her a less mature look, which was something I wanted to avoid.

I think (after much deliberation) I may add, I’m most likely going to go with this one:


The top gives a relaxed feel, plus is very much ‘summery’- quite floaty/ light. This compliments the trousers, which are slim, with a little bit of bagginess to them. The colours are more than likely going to change, but I just wanted to add some colour on there, so I wasn’t just looking at line drawings when deciding. I had a thought the other day to overlay real fabric textures on the clothing to give it a bit more visual depth and to show more of my ‘voice’ as an artist I suppose. In my test pieces I’m forever experimenting with texture and techniques, so why not translate that to something longer form, such as this. It’s something I must remind myself to have a play around with when it comes to colouring the animation. Someone reading this, remind me in a few months, will you?!

The below outfits are a couple other front-runners, but it likely will be the one above. Maybe I could utilise these outfits in some different scenes? Would be nice if she had different clothes throughout, so it does’t go all ‘Simpsons’ on us! Anyway, I’ll see…



Ok then, that’s it for this one, it’s quite a bit shorter than last weeks, but that is fine by me!

No comments:

Post a Comment