Sunday 1 September 2024

Short Film: Update #1

On August 20th 2024 I started the animation on my film! I haven’t animated a long project such as this for a while, so it took a little time to get into. I started quite slow, only doing an hour or so each day, but I’ve definitely started to ramp all that up now. I’ve also been busy with filming sections for this, as well as trying to enjoy what’s left of the summer. I am human after all! Being tied to my computer can wait until darker, gloomier days..! Here’s a clip of my first completed shot:


As you can see from the clip, I decided to go for a thinner outline rather than the chunkier style I often go with (you’ll notice this if you’re familiar with my work). I decided to do this, because I felt like I had used the thicker line a lot and mainly because I wanted this project to have a different feel than the rest of my work. I’m really liking how this choice of line looks and I think it suits the film well. It has perhaps more of a ‘mature’ look and this piece is definitely more of that nature thematically and tonally. I feel a thicker line is perhaps suited to a project less serious maybe? I’m not sure, but this definitely felt right for this film anyway…

What is also different than my previous short is that I’m using TVPaint (on my desktop) rather than Callipeg (on iPad). Using my iPad to animate was convenient due to being able to do it anywhere anytime (and the Apple Pencil is wonderful), but the screen is quite small and the workflow isn’t as smooth because I found myself constantly transferring files between devices. I also like the fact that I can’t do it anywhere/ anytime, because it feels like I can potentially always be working, even when I’m away. And yes, I do have a tendency to ‘overwork’. So it’s nice to actually have a cut off point with this. I also enjoy working on a larger drawing tablet (XP-Pen 24 Pro) and TVPaint is such a brilliant software it’s hard not to use it. Callipeg is also great by the way- don’t get me wrong and if you really like working on iPad, then I 100% recommend. I even wrote an appreciation post for it a while back!

I’ve got a lovely little spreadsheet for this one (doesn’t sound like me much does it!), where I am able to time/ track everything quite accurately. Below is a screen grab (click to enlarge):


I’m going to try and do one of these update type blogs most weeks- basically like I did with ‘Bear’. Just so I have a record really of what’s been done, what’s still to do and how I’m feeling about it all. I’ll add the screen grab of the tracker each time as well, so my progress can be seen visually. It also might be useful for you if you’re reading this and wanting to make a short film yourself. I like to think it will inspire, though I am quite candid with my writing, so I hope it doesn’t put anyone off! I actively encourage anyone wanting to try something like this to do it as creating something of your own is one of the best feelings ever.

Right before I get all gooey about creativity, that’s the first update done, see you in the next one! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment