Wednesday 7 August 2019

Latest Animation Test Clips

Even though progress feels fairly slow in the last couple of months, looking back, I have actually achieved more than I think in terms of animated output. I usually think if I've not got a new clip each week to put on my animation Instagram account, then I'm 'falling behind', not producing enough work, procrastinating too much or having too much 'fun' doing other things.

When I look back at the work I have produced since June, this is not actually the case: I completed a short animated film in collaboration with my friend Alan Livesey, carried out some concept work for future short films, applied to various funding schemes, got rejected from various funding schemes, filmed and edited some freelance work for a company which now features on the Argos website and completed two short animation tests, these of which I will discuss in more detail throughout this post. When I list it all out, it seems I have actually achieved a fair amount. I needn't be so self critical.

Concept work for a future animation
Both test pieces are mixed media, each combining my favourite methods to work in: rotoscope animation and 16mm film. I should probably do a post on rotoscope animation, actually. Anyway, I've been developing my work in both techniques since around 2011 and really want to explore ways in which they can further be combined. I've already carried out some work where I've paired the two, though nothing as explicit as in these tests, especially the second one.


The first (above) was actually using cine film as the main background, though the concept stays relevant of linking rotoscope animation with an analogue backing. I also added some patterns as an extra layer, because that's what this piece required.

The second one (below) I left the 16mm background raw (no extra layer of pattern), to see how it would work against the rotoscope animation and weigh up whether it had any legs to go further and work as a longer, fuller piece.


What I especially wanted to get out of the tests, was a contrast between the texture of the analogue footage and the smoothness and perhaps contemporary look of the character animation. In the second one this was definitely achieved and I am now looking for ways where I can shape this method into something more complete or narrative driven, as I think it has potential to go somewhere. I also really like how it turned out aesthetically, so it enhances my yearning to continue to develop this technique.

It also worked in the first one, though the extra layer of pattern made it cluttered and messy. I suppose it all depends on the look I really want to achieve for the final result and what the animation will say or be about. Both styles clearly have their uses and it's just a case of teasing out a story or purpose in each.

Despite both of these clips being created for funding applications, both of which were rejected, I don't look back on these as a waste of time, but more the opposite. The funding applications gave me a deadline and motivation to carry out creating the clips, with the end result being something that I am extremely happy with and something to put in my showreel and of course, on my social media channels. That's not to say I am not frustrated or annoyed with being rejected as an artist, though it's something I can't change, so I suppose I have to do that monotonous task of looking for the positives in the things which aren't so positive, so I don't feel so bad about said things!

No comments:

Post a Comment