Tuesday 13 August 2019

Totes Amaze Bags | Sewing


For some reason I have started sewing again. I'm unsure as to why I suddenly had the urge to do so, though it's something I'm really enjoying and is a change from being sat behind either a computer animating or behind a camera photographing.

I've sewn a lot throughout my life and have always been quite competent at it. I like the idea of that it just starts with a few bit of fabric and thread, though if you put the components together in a certain way, then something useful comes from it.

It was in 2016 (I think) that I purchased a lot of blank tote bags, which were on offer at Hobbycraft. I had always intended to do something with them, though only ever got as far as making some felt appliqué decoration for them, but not actually sewing them on. 

Rewind a couple of months and I was feeling in a bit of a slump, due to a number of reasons which I won't be going into detail about in this post, though long story short, I wasn't feeling up to doing any animation or 'proper' work. As said previously, sewing is something I've always gone back to at various stages of my life and it felt at that time it was something I wanted to pick up again. I had a look on the internet for inspiration to see if there were any small projects I could take on and I decided that a pencil case would be the perfect project to get me started. After all I have a niece who starts primary school in September, so I could give her a handmade pencil case as a gift.

I don't have a sewing machine, so everything I do is hand stitched. I'm not sure if I'd want a sewing machine anyway. I know it makes the process faster, but I like hand sewing as it's relaxing and it doesn't cost much money apart from thread and needles, which are super cheap anyway. Also, as sewing is a bit of a sporadic hobby for me, I wouldn't want a large machine clogging up space in my house if it will only get used every now and again.



I'm really pleased with the result, especially because I've never really sewn lining or a zip in anything before and decided to go against a simple pencil case pattern, but a boxy design instead. My only really qualm with it, is that I feel it's a little too big, but aside from that I'm quite happy with it. It would be nice to do more of the same...

Since making that, I wanted to continue making things from fabric, which brings me to me and my tote bags:





I really like working in this style, as I think they make aesthetic outcomes. I have tried to use bright colours in both the threads and felt, so they stand out and are eye catching. I've chosen fairly simple, but effective (or at least I like to think so) designs, such as a cat, leaves and a Russian doll for now, though hope to expand my designs in the future. I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do with them all once done, though I could potentially sell them on Etsy or give them to friends and family as birthday or Christmas (feels too early to be saying that) gifts.

As I'm now just sewing the appliqué parts I've pre-made on the bags, I can't wait until I start making new ones to sew on. I don't want to start any new ones yet though, before I've sewn all of the ones I made a few years ago on. I have a terrible habit of starting things and not finishing them, so I'm kind of making myself complete them before moving on! 

No comments:

Post a Comment