Thursday 26 October 2023

Road to Wembley #3

One of the ties which caught my eye for this Third Round Qualifying in the Women's FA Cup was FAWNL Division One North side York City Ladies vs Hull United AFC Women. Being born in York, I have a bit of a soft spot for any York side and having watched Hull United win 4-1 earlier this season playing in the North East Women's Regional League (one tier below York), I thought this could be an interesting match and maybe even a potential 'giant killing'. That's why the FA Cup is the best competition in football!

The game was played at the University of York Athletics Stadium, a style of ground which I always find fairly photogenic (though I know of people who moan about such set ups). I was kindly authorised pitchside access for this one, so my FA Cup photo project journeys on...

Unfortunately for Hull United, this was not the giant killing they were hoping for and was in fact pretty much a one sided affair. Though thanks to Hull's defence coupled with their keeper pulling off some fantastic saves, they kept the scoreline down to a respectable 3-0. York will face FC United of Manchester in the First Round Proper, with ties for that round taking place on Sunday 12th November- get that date in your diaries!

Below are a few photos from the game, and as usual, you can view the full set on my Flickr HERE. You can see the previous Women's FA Cup posts on the #RoadToWembley tag in the sidebar.










No comments:

Post a Comment