Wednesday 16 August 2023

Totoro Embroidery

I could not resist doing an embroidery of the cutest animation character ever IMO! I'm really pleased with how this one turned out- it might be my best yet. I think I've captured the likeness of Totoro well, despite being uncertain about it at the beginning (another note to self to have more self belief). I also like how I'm steering away from using patterns in the DMC online library and creating my own designs.

It was also my first time blending colours (or at least in a big way), which I used for the background. Again, I thought this was going to look terrible so almost gave up midway through as I didn't have the confidence that it would look any 'good'. Despite this, I forced myself to persist, because it was a technique I had been wanting to try and if I never try it, then how will I ever know if I'm able to do it?! And how will I ever progress my work? If I persist with it, then at least I can pick up what I need to improve on for next time round, rather than never try it and stagnate my progression or skill. Something I feel can (and should) be applied to all aspects of my life and work.

I think the blending looks fairly decent (more emphasis on 'fairly'), though I have found some areas where I feel it needs improving. But I do like the colourful contrast of the background to the limited palette of the foreground. I think it really makes Totoro stand out, whilst adding a little bit of 'something' so it doesn't look too plain.

I have a pretty ambitious idea for my next embroidery, so keep your eyes peeled for that one..! In the meantime, here's a few images of the design I've been writing about here:


No comments:

Post a Comment