Thursday 30 July 2020

Cricket Continued...

Looks like there has been a problem with this post! For some reason Blogger has taken it upon itself to delete some of the words- I mean just look at that first 'sentence'. Anyway, being as this was written back in July, I'm not going to rewrite it as I can't remember what it said and I guess you get the gist of it from this.

Having taken my camera to a recent

Buxworth FC
Buxworth FC

In my usual fashion I scour the fixtures a few days beforehand, looking at a variety of leagues. The main day for club cricket is (like men's football) on Saturday's, though 2nd XI teams (and below, including women's) often play on Sunday's. I don't mind what level I watch in any sport, because I just love watching it regardless. In my research, I happened to stumble upon the

The drive was fairly easy, arriving us in Earby with plenty of time for a walk. If you do ever have a free afternoon in East Lancashire, I would very much recommend taking a trip to this picturesque town. It even has waterfalls (and no, I'm not talking about the stereotypical Northern weather). After a couple hours it was time to make our way to the Applegarth, home of Earby CC.

It definitely had the views of the hills I wanted and a lot more, including a visible mill tower from one end. Not only that, but it boasted a good sized pavilion and bar, along with an electronic scoreboard opposite. Despite not being used to photographing cricket, I got into the swing of things quite quickly. It wasn't too dissimilar to football and in fact, somewhat 'easier': the line of play was more predictable and the players stayed still for longer periods, making composing shots and framing players a less arduous task. Earby also had ex England Women's cricketer Arran Brindle playing on their side. Not everyday you get to see that!

Some technical stuff:

Since purchasing a 'new' (second hand/ pre owned/ vintage- whatever the term is these days) 24-105mm lens earlier in the year for photographing football, I was slightly frustrated I had to go back to using my cheaper 55-250mm for this game. In my opinion, this visibly hindered the image quality as the lens used is a Canon 'STM', unlike the higher quality USM 'L' series of my newer one. As I wanted to get a mixture of both action and landscape shots, the 24-105 was not appropriate as it doesn't zoom far enough to get good close ups of the players at the crease. Despite this, composition and content wise I'm very pleased with the outcomes. I would definitely like to photograph some more cricket matches this season should the opportunity arise, before the return of football takes over...

I have attached some images below, but you can view the full set here.







No comments:

Post a Comment