Wednesday 30 November 2022

Swimming

It’s been around about a month, but I now have a new animated clip to share! This is a continuation in technique of the previous one where I rotoscoped over a 3D reference. I wanted to develop this way of working to see how it looks on other shots/ characters.

I had some hand drawn abstract patterned frames hanging around (as you do), which I always had intended to incorporate in an animation at some point- though wasn’t sure especially what (or when). I was looking at them and felt that they were reminiscent of waves in a loose, abstract kind of way. With this in mind, I decided to use a reference clip of someone swimming.

For the figure, I used a similar style to the previous one- black outline with black shading, but instead of a white fill for the body, I used a shade of blue which I felt complimented the background. Here is the clip:


I think the end result is really eye catching and love the contrast between the smooth, clean look/ feel of the rotoscope animation, with the rougher, choppier hand drawn background. I love how the background turned out when animated, too- it does actually kind of look like waves! I also really like the colours- I could have so easily wimped out and just filled the figure with white again, but I feel that the blue really gives it something extra.

I think this is a technique which I want to carry on exploring for a while. I don’t feel I’m finished with it yet, or pushed it as far as I want to! Watch this space for more as always.

Ps. I watched the animated feature film ‘Entergalactic’ on Netflix not so long ago and I honestly don’t feel it’s been hyped up enough- it was absolutely fantastic!! Please go and check it out and give it some love.

No comments:

Post a Comment