Thursday 14 April 2022

'Bear' Animation Week 5

5 weeks in- wait- whaaat?! And progress is going very well. I'm actually loving what I'm creating here.


As I mentioned a few posts back, I've been placing the completed clips on the timeline in DaVinci- which you can see in the above image (I have labelled them orange so I can clearly see my progress). I've actually completed around a third maybe? It's kind of hard to tell from looking at that, but I do reckon if I squashed down all the orange bits to one side, it would probably make up one third.

Again, I didn't have a full week animating due to a couple of other events/ commitments, but I did manage to get five shots completed, almost finished a sixth and started another two. So a little down from last week, but I completed a few difficult shots which inevitably took longer. So even though in terms of quantity what I produced was lower, I feel I made some really good progress regardless.

I feel tackling some of the harder shots was down to having attended Cardiff Animation Festival at the weekend, leaving me super inspired and giving me a bit of a boost. It was amazing to be immersed in animation for four whole days- whether that be watching shorts, speaking with other animators or attending Q+A's (I did pretty much everything)!! Animating on my own in Preston where there isn't much of an animation community is sometimes fairly lonely, so being in an animation centric environment for an extended period felt brilliant and inspiring.


Above is an image of the Q+A I participated in (I'm the one in the yellow hat!) talking about my film '04111311' which screened at the festival, alongside several other talented animators/ directors talking about their own work. Laura-Beth Cowley was interviewing for the brilliant Skwigly online magazine/ podcast as part of one of the 'Animator's Brunch' events.

Talking of festivals, Manchester Animation Festival has been putting on monthly screening events at Chapeltown Picture House, Manchester. They screen around 75 minutes of well curated short films, with plenty of time for networking/ mingling- whatever you want to call it! I've so far attended all of them and they have been thoroughly enjoyable- would highly recommend if you're an animator based in the North West. It's been great involving myself more in the animation community here up north- I am now confident enough to attend these kind of things and to be honest, I wished I had started earlier!

I think that's all for this one, ready for a long bank holiday weekend (I probably should have mentioned that earlier so you don't think I'm going mad thinking that it's a Friday or something)! I'll of course be watching football (and lots of it)..!

No comments:

Post a Comment