Friday 26 November 2021

Doughnut Disturb

I definitely feel like I'm stepping up my pun game with these blog titles 😂

Recently, I decided to learn Blender.

This was because, as regular readers of this blog may know, that I’m always striving to learn new things and improve my skillset, especially when it comes to animation. One of the main pulls for doing this though, was because it would massively help when creating backgrounds for my 2D animations- in terms of perspective, lighting and layout etc. Especially when mine are rotoscoped and lots of the backgrounds will needs to be made from scratch afterwards if I film in a studio.

With it being an open source software, I decided to just go for it- it has been in the back of mind for a while, but never went for it until now. I, like many, started with the Blender Guru’s infamous doughnut tutorial. It was a thorough and detailed course, perfect for beginners like myself.

I wasn’t sure if before starting the course, I would be able to complete it or it would look terrible or something, but how wrong I was! If there are any experienced CG people on this blog seeing the images- I expect you think it probably still looks very amateur (and I expect it does), though from a viewpoint of a complete newbie, I am really pleased with it.

I was a bit nervous at first, due to being so use to 2D programs, so was kind of afraid to touch anything at first incase it went wrong(!), though by the end, I not only had a doughnut I am quite proud of, but also a small animation to accompany it (see below). Yes, in true Flora Martyr fashion, I decided to go a bit further and have a play with the key frames to move the light around. After all, the animation side of things is partly why I decided to learn Blender in the first place.


I loved seeing the progression as the tutorial went along- kind of how it went from essentially a mesh circle, to something which looked kind of edible, and everything in between!


I'm really excited about learning this program- the things you can do with it are quite fascinating. I understand it'll take some time to get to the place where I want to be with it, though it's definitely a journey I'm willing to take... 


Here’s the doughnut animated:


No comments:

Post a Comment