Saturday 30 December 2023

2023 in Bowling

Hello hello! Merry Christmas and all that! I know I've significantly slowed down on my blogging towards the end of the year, but I've not felt like I've had anything all that relevant to write about on here. Admittedly I like to try and aim for one post a week, but simultaneously I don’t like to post if I have nothing which I feel especially warrants one.

Now, onto the good stuff…

I said in my last post on bowling, that hopefully it won’t be that long before I write about the subject again and that was just over two months ago, so yep, I’m pleased I’ve been able to stay true to my word! Because I went to 22 different bowling alleys this year, I feel there’s enough to create a top 5. So, without further ado (and in no particular order) I present my 5 favourite bowling establishments visited this year:

Gorilla Bar and Bowling Newcastle



Having visited in April this year, it’s actually hard to cast my mind back to what made this one so good- the main thing I can actually remember from here is that I was unable to get a printed receipt (I like to get one at each place) as the printer was broken! Though, I do remember the lanes and equipment being especially good and a nice ambiance to the place. I was also having a lovely day, so I’m guessing that might have had something to do with it, but I gave it a solid 9/10 on my spreadsheet, so it must have been doing something right…

Riverside Bowling Sunderland




This one stood out as it was visited after a spate of several chain bowls, all with pins on strings. This was not only an independent venue, but also the first ‘free fall’ (traditional) bowling alley visited for some time. It felt anything but generic. From the exterior it honestly did not look like there would be bowling inside and to be honest it didn’t even look open. Though, these places are the ones I find most interesting and there was no shortage in character.

Pavilion Bowl Clacton-on-Sea



This was one of three bowling alleys on the Tendring Peninsula- an absolute gold mine for any fellow bowling enthusiasts out there. Each centre had not yet “upgraded” to pins on strings and each oozed character. This one was the best of the three by far: good prices, well maintained lanes, excellent ball selection and friendly staff- it’s hard to find fault. It was also my 150th bowling alley visited. Oh, and did I mention the free jukebox?

Airport Bowl




This one had been on my ‘to bowl’ list for several years and on a recent trip to London, staying in a hotel conveniently close to this place (oh, what a coincidence), meant I was finally able to visit it. I took advantage of their £1.50 per person per game weekend special offer and treated myself to several early morning games. It was everything I wanted it to be and more- lanes in great condition (it often hosts tournaments), a good variety of house balls, great looking building and a brilliant atmosphere, this place has got nearly everything right. The downside to this one was the pins on strings- if only I’d have visited a few years ago before they changed them. Airport Bowl is definitely among my all time favourites and it will be one I’d gladly visit again. And again. And again.

Ashby Bowl (Scunthorpe)




One of two bowling alleys in Scunthorpe, this independent establishment definitely came across as the friendlier one. But perhaps I was alone in that thinking as for pretty much the whole hour we were there, the place was deserted bar three staff members and an arcade game technician. Despite one early equipment/ lane fault, it was all smooth from there. The lane was in great shape, though the only drawback was the selection of house balls which left a little to be desired. Perhaps this is a sign that I should start using my own ball again- I think I’ll try it out next time I bowl… Also of note here, the front facing exterior wall boasted a large (and quite fantastic) ‘Support UK Steel’ mural, which was only painted early December.

So that concludes my top 5 for 2023! If you do end up visiting any of the above, then I’d love to know if you felt the same (or different) to me. Hopes for 2024 would be to visit at least 25 bowling alleys/ stay healthy enough to do so and to get back into the habit of using my own ball again. A new bowling alley has recently opened in Sheffield city centre, so that’s an easy one to start with…

No comments:

Post a Comment