Tuesday 27 June 2023

More Cross Stitch!

A few weeks ago I managed to get Covid for the second time- woop woop! So, yeah, that was fun. Though on day three of lying in bed, I thought I might be well enough to start a new cross stitch, as it's been a while. But I actually completed the majority of the stitching once I had recovered, as I found doing it while I was ill wasn't all that easy. Who knew.

I downloaded the pattern (after much deliberating- always find it so hard to choose one because I like so many) for free from the DMC website. I selected a fairly simple alphabet one- if you know me well enough, then you know I'm quite obsessed with typography and lettering, so I was quite clearly drawn to it! Plus as I was ill at the time of choosing it, I honestly didn't fancy a pattern which I had to think too hard about- so nothing too intricate or detailed etc.

Originally I was going to do it all as regular cross stitch in block colours (in which the top row is), though as I emerged out of Covid into reality, I decided I'd complete it as a more experimental piece. So I used a variety of different stitch styles (half stitch, single strand, single strand with two strand) and tried out a variety of patterns and ways of colouring the letters. I felt that I got much more out of doing it this way, than just doing the whole 26 letters in a way I already knew. They didn't all turn out 'good', but at least I learnt something from each one and I now know more about cross stitching as a craft. As a whole, I absolutely love how the piece turned out and I think all the different stitch styles and patterns definitely make it look more exciting and vibrant. And it's all things I'd like to take with me into future work.

Here's a couple of pictures (though I'm not sure my phone camera especially does it justice):



And below is a scan of the pattern with all of my scribblings/ ideas/ ramblings on:

No comments:

Post a Comment