Thursday 18 August 2016

TBT #1

Because of current internet trends and for a bit of fun (I know- crazy aren't I!) I thought I'd start a series of these #tbt posts- or "Throwback Thursday" for anyone who doesn't internet as much as everybody else.

I think as a creative, it's good to sometimes look back on previous work to see how much you've developed and/ or improved over the years, as sometimes you don't see any progress in your work until you actually look back.

It's also an appreciation of old ideas etc and of course to have a little laugh, reminisce and get a little nostalgic over "the good old days".

I'll start with this one:


This was the second music video that I made, May 2012. It was a university project (I was nearing the end of my second year), for the 'pop promo' module.

Although cringey in places, I am still really pleased with the editing and perhaps even a little bit amazed with my achievement here. I remember having a distinct style I wanted to portray/ create in this video, somewhat like 'On To the Next One', Jay Z ft. Swizz Beatz and also similar to the Azealia Banks video for '212', ft. Lazy Jay. I think I did just that, but on a really, really tight budget. I mean, just look at that flag!

Nevertheless, I did learn a LOT of new skills with this video, such as chroma keying out the green screen I painted onto the canvases, scouting and following up various locations, how to do some of the type animation in After Effects and also the first (and last) time I used Final Cut Pro X, or shall I say the final time! Sorry.

I think this was the beginning of me using this style throughout my work. As you can see in my later films, they take essences of what I was attempting here, but in a more refined way. I'd say this is one of my more significant pieces of work I've made in terms of concept and style. I wouldn't include it in my showreel anymore, but it helped me decide what route I wanted to take my filmmaking down and also experiment with new techniques. I also burnt a teddy bear #yolo

Enjoy! ...and in the meantime, I'll see what I can find in the vaults to dig out next.

No comments:

Post a Comment