Friday 4 October 2019

I Have NO Idea What this is Called

I've not written a post about animation on here for a while, so without further ado:


I went to the zoo recently with the intentions of filming more animal footage to animate over. As it was raining *all day*, I didn't get as much footage as I'd have hoped or liked, though I feel I still got some pretty useful stuff. Mostly of capybaras, mind... I think it should keep me occupied for a while, anyway.

I must admit, I have no idea what this animal is called. I just know it's super cute and felt like a good starting point. To the untrained eye, it's probably not that far removed from my usual work, though I will point out a vast difference: the addition or presence of markings/ colourings on the animal. My usual work often lacks any kind of shadow or shading and is often block colour. This is more a practical choice rather than a stylistic one, because it is usually down to lack of time. I like to try and complete one segment or clip of animation each week, because of a) discipline and b) an animation Instagram page won't look that great without much animation on it!

I do like what I have added here, as it definitely gives it more depth and characteristics than something without extra colour. Knowing that it has potential and clearly 'works' I would like to transfer this technique into more of projects, especially with the animated people, as sometimes they do look quite flat. It's not especially effected me thus far, though knowing adding what I have here makes me think I can create much more interesting imagery with a little extra work.

Elsewhere in my animated world, I animated my friend and collaborator Alan Livesey:


...And I also, after visiting a couple of portrait galleries of late, decided to do a few animated self portraits:




I think you are now update with pretty much most of my recent animation ventures, though don't forget to follow me on Instagram and Twitter if you like my work to stay super current and 'on trend'.

No comments:

Post a Comment