Thursday 5 September 2019

Elephant #2

If you keep up with this blog or my creative ventures in general on my social media channels, then I assume you will know I've already created a clip with an elephant. Well, as I enjoyed that one so much, I decided to make another, from another piece of footage.

I wanted to make this one different to the last and also different to my other work, though I wanted to use to same sort of concept/ style as the previous elephant, using a silhouette and detail lines within said silhouette.

This time, I decided to fill the silhouette with big, bold, colourful dots, which move every frame. Why? I wanted to attempt filling a shape with something that isn't a block colour, plus it's aside from my usual often quite 'neat' and realistic style. The colours aren't ones you'd find on an elephant, either, unless of course it has been thoroughly mistreated and painted. Which is not the look I was trying to portray in this animation and I hope it doesn't come across that way. I wanted to expand and push ways to create pattern and texture in moving image on screen, along with wanting to push all the reality out of my work!



I overlaid the dots with texture, made up of frames I hand painted and scanned in:


...Which made the dots textured:


I really liked the amount of texture I used on the last elephant clip, so decided to take it a lot further in this one and use a textured background as well:


I thought the two lots of textures might clash or look too 'busy' on the final clip, but once I darkened the background, the two styles complemented each other well. It gave the look I wanted, which was basically a wall of texture and colour and definitely something I've not used before.

I really like what I've done here with the colourful dots. It's something I probably wouldn't have thought to do a year or two ago, which shows that I'm trying really hard to step away from my realistic style of work, to create something more surreal, perhaps. I think there's still so much further I can go with the rotoscope technique and it's really exciting for me to be able to experiment with so many different styles at this moment in time.

My next piece is slightly more realistic, though that's because it's for a short film a friend and I are developing and the style of the film doesn't need to have any crazy colourful dots- or at least not for now anyway..! Without further ado, here's the colourful elephant animation: 

No comments:

Post a Comment